Sunday, May 20, 2018

Crochet Means Love To Me

I was 7 years old when my Granny taught me how to crochet.  It was a green and gold rippled blanket.  Yes, it was the late 60’s and those were the colors that everyone loved.  I remember working on it and taking it to my aunt and uncles house at Christmas and my other grandmother (Grandma) showing my some mistakes I had made and helping me fix them.  At the time I did not know that it was called Frogging, because you have to “rip it, rip it”.  Lol. They both showed me the stitches and I later learned there names are chain, single crochet and double crochet.  

Neither of them showed me how to read a pattern and I am not sure that either of them knew how to read one.  Grandma would show me Afghans that she made that her sister showed her the new stitches. That is how she learned a new stitch.  It was old school YouTube. Lol

After the green and gold afghan, I made a larger one with more colors. My mom still has it.  The green and gold one she gave to Granny to use when she went into the nursing home to keep warm.  This is the second afgan I made.

I have since learned to read a pattern, but I still love single and double crochet. Grandma loved doing double crochet and when I went and visited my Granny we talked about what I was crocheting and she told me that the double crochet was the prettiest stitch.  That may be why I have always loved double crocheting.

Well, about 6 years ago, my cousin Andrea was going to have a baby and she mentioned that she loved baby cocoons. So, I went to Pinterest and looked up crocheted baby cocoons and made her one and that got me wanting to crochet again.

Crocheting is now more that just afghans.  It seems to be the hot new trend.  Samantha and I were at Joann's getting yarn and the cashier said that they are now selling more yarn than fabric!  It also seems like the yarn company's are upping their game with all of the yarn that they are offering, and Pinterest is making it easy to get patterns.  Facebook has a lot of pages you can join that will get you inspired also.  I make this for my niece's 7th birthday.


I stopped crocheting for a very long time and made some baby blankets when I was pregnant with Jonathan to sell.  Now I have opened an Esty store to sell what I am crocheting.  I have posted some of the items that I have crocheted recently on my etsy store:
theplaidpicklestudio.etsy.com.

Every time I crochet, I think of both of my Grandmothers taking their time to show me how to crochet and being so patient with a 7 year old girl that had a hard time holding the yarn and hook and making anything happen. I hope to show my 8 year old niece and some friends how to crochet this summer. That to me is love.

Love-Craft-Pickles
La Donna








2 comments:

  1. You amaze me with all your hobbies and a full time job. And traveling when I want to go somewhere. My sister in law....Super Woman. Love you. 💜

    ReplyDelete

It’s been a while

Hey y’all!  I know it’s been a while since the last post. We’ve had quite almost year and half with our family. We’ve had some medical diagn...